Steamed Rose Buns
These 4-ingredient Steamed rose buns are so easy to make and are perfect for any occasion, Mother's day, Birthdays, Valentine's Day…You can make these buns sugar-free too, by skipping the powdered sugar/icing sugar on top !
- 1 cup (250 ml) warm water (+ 1 tbsp at a time until dough just comes together) (90F-110F; 43C-32C)
- 3 drops Red Food Coloring Gel
- 2 tsp (6 g) Active Dry Yeast
- 3 1/2 cup (500 g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1 1/2 tsp (6 g) Baking powder
- To 1 cup of warm water (90F-110F; 43C-32C), add 3 drops of red food coloring gel. Mix well.
- Add active dry yeast. Stir and let stand for 5 minutes until foamy.
- To another bowl, add flour and baking powder. Mix well.Then add the yeast solution. Mix until well combined. If the dough is too dry, add 1 tablespoon of water at a time until the dough just comes together.
- Cover the bowl and let stand for 5 minutes ONLY.
- Transfer dough to a lightly floured surface.Dust dough with flour.
- Roll out dough into a 22×16 inch (55×40 cm) rectangle.Using a cookie cutter 3 ¾ inch (9.5 cm) diameter, cut out 20 circles from the dough.
- Place 4 circles overlapping each other on the work surface.The roll another circle into a stick.Place it at one end of the 4 overlapping circles and roll all of them into a bigger cylinder as shown in the video.Cut the cylinder into half. Carefully open the petals as shown on the video.Repeat for the rest of the dough.
- Place the flower dough on a piece of parchment paper, then into a steamer basket.
- Add boiling hot water to steamer/wok. Place the steamer basket into the steamer, cover and steam on HIGH HEAT for 12-15 minutes.DO NOT OPEN THE STEAMER DURING STEAMING.
- Dust with icing sugar (optional).