French King Cake
This Epiphany cake is Easy to Make and so Delicious.With its Crispy puff pastry and Sweeet Almond Paste, this French King Cake (galette des rois) makes a great dessert.
- 1 Puff Pastry (homemade or store bought)
- 1/2 cup + 3 tbsp (150 g) Unsalted butter, softened
- 3/4 cup (150 g) Granulated Sugar
- 3 large eggs
- 1 tsp (5 ml) vanilla extract
- 1 ½ cup (150 g) Almond Meal
- 1 egg yolk for egg wash
- Cut out 2 circles, 11 inch (28 cm) diameter and 3/16 inch (4 mm) thick, from puff pastry.Refrigerate puff pastry circles while making the almond cream filling.
- In a bowl, add softened butter and sugar. Mix until mixture is pale yellow.
- Add eggs to mixture, one at a time, mix until well combined after each addition.
- Add vanilla extract. Mix until combined.
- Add half of almond meal. Fold almond meal into batter until well combined.
- Add the rest of the almond meal and fold until well combined.
- Transfer batter to piping bag.
- Place one puff pastry circle baking tray lined with parchment paper.
- Pipe batter (almond paste) on the puff pastry leaving 3/4 inch (2cm) from the each (see video). Add a trinket if desired on the batter.
- Brush edges of puff pastry with water.
- Cover with second puff pastry circle and press to seal edges.Crimp edges using back of a knife.Brush top of puff pastry with egg wash.
- Refrigerate cake for 30 minutes.
- Brush top of cake with egg wash again.Using tip of knife, draw a pattern on cake.Score the puff pastry with tip of knife.
- Bake in PREHEATED oven at 400oF (200oC), 35-40 minutes or until golden brown.
- Let the cake cool down on wire rack before serving.