Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake
This light and fluffy Italian Lemon Ricotta Cake is full of fresh lemon flavor and the creamy ricotta cheese makes it super moist and rich. The taste of olive oil is subtle and delicious.
- 3 Large eggs, room temperature
- 1 cup (200 g) Granulated sugar
- 1 cup (220 g) Ricotta Cheese, room temperature
- 1/2 cup (120 ml) Olive Oil (or vegetable oil)
- 1 ½ cup (210 g) All-Purpose Flour
- 1/2 tsp (2 g) Baking Powder
- 1/4 tsp (2 g) Salt
- 1 tbsp (6 g) Lemon Zest
- 2 tbsp (30 ml) Lemon Juice
- Preheat oven to 350oF (180oC).
- Butter the bottom and sides of a 7 inch (18 cm) diameter round cake pan. Line bottom with parchment paper.
- In a bowl, whisk eggs and sugar using a hand mixer on medium speed, for 2-3 minutes, until mixture is pale yellow, light and fluffy.
- Place strainer over bowl and press ricotta cheese through the strainer using spatula. Straining will give a creamier ricotta cheese.
- Beat on medium speed for 1 minute to combine.
- Add olive oil and beat on medium speed until well combined.
- Add flour, baking powder, salt, lemon zest and lemon juice. Mix until just combined.
- Transfer batter to 7 inch (18 cm) diameter round cake pan, lined with parchment paper.
- Bake at 350oF (180oC), middle rack position, for 40-50 minutes, or until toothpick comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool down in pan for 10 minutes. Then transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.
- Dust with powdered / icing sugar.